Thursday, August 26, 2010

History and Summer Fun at Fort Brewerton…

Summer fun continues in Oswego County this weekend when the Fort Brewerton Historical Society hosts its inaugural Summer Festival. Bring the whole family to enjoy a day filled with music, food, games, crafts and raffles. The event runs from 1 to 4 p.m. on Sunday, August 29 at the fort on the corner of routes 37 and 11 in Brewerton.

Raffle items for the festival were donated by local businesses and volunteers. They include gift certificates, paintings, floral arrangements and sports memorabilia. Piano man Bill Verity performs from his collection of classical, rock and Jazz tunes. Admission is free and donations to the historical society are welcomed.

This not-for-profit organization was formed in 1965 to preserve the history of Brewerton for residents and visitors. Over the years, they have hosted many community events including antique car shows, farmers’ markets, a Christmas bazaar and kids’ history camp.

Here are some pictures from the camp, courtesy of Chris Stallknecht:

Nearly forty years ago, the group began construction of the museum to house their collections. The design is a replica of the Oliver Stevens Block House – known to be the home of the area’s first white settlers in 1788. The project utilized bricks recovered from the original block house which Stevens himself had taken from the ruined fort.

The original Fort Brewerton was built in 1759 by English General Abercrombie as a point of defense between the Great Lakes and Albany. It served as a waypoint throughout the French and Indian War and during the beginning of the Revolutionary War; however, by August of 1777, the fort lay in ruins. Today, all that remains are the earthen embankments of the fort. They form the shape of an eight-pointed star; positioned toward the cardinal points of a compass. With its tall shade trees, the area is ideal for a relaxing picnic.

While you’re here, be sure to explore the revolving exhibits inside the Fort Brewerton Block House Museum. Inside, you’ll find an extensive collection of native artifacts as well as a small gift shop and a meeting room for events throughout the year. The museum is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays beginning in June and ending in early September. Admission is free. For more information, visit their Web site at


No comments: